If you’re shopping for weddings bands, you know that you have a wide range of styles to choose from. From antique-style to traditional to modern, there are designs for every taste and personality. But, what if you’re not sure what your taste in wedding rings is?
Ultimately, choosing a wedding band boils down to which styles you like best and that best communicate your love. Here are a few tips that can help you determine your personal preference in wedding ring style:
• Consider your wardrobe. Take a look in your closet. What styles do you wear the most? The clothes that you reach for again and again could provide some clues as to which wedding band style might be best for you. If you gravitate toward looks that borrow from the past or those with a distinctly feminine sensibility, an antique-style wedding band will likely complement your wardrobe beautifully. If you tend to reach for classic pieces that can be worn year after year while still looking classy, a traditional wedding band is probably more up your alley. Or, if your closet is full of trendy pieces and you like to wear clothes that are just a little different than the ordinary, consider a modern wedding ring style.
• Consider your lifestyle. If you regularly get your hands dirty at work or at play, a simple traditional style or minimalistic modern ring may be a better pick for you than a more elaborate vintage style, as simpler bands are easier to keep clean. This doesn’t mean that you can’t choose a ring with an intricate design if you work with your hands, but know that if you do, you’ll have to spend a little more time keeping it looking its best than you would if you chose a simpler style.
• Consider the engagement ring. For many couples, the style of the bride’s engagement ring is a big determining factor in the style of the wedding bands they choose (particularly the band for the bride); however, this doesn’t have to be the case. First, think about whether or not you want your wedding bands to coordinate with the engagement ring, and if so, how closely you’d like them to match. Once you know this, you can begin to narrow down your choices to the type of wedding ring that will coordinate with or give contrast to the engagement ring.
• Consider the message you’d like to send about your marriage. Although all wedding bands communicate love without beginning or end though their circular shape, particular styles can serve as pictures of specific aspects of your love. For example, vintage styles can communicate that your love has true staying power and that it will stand the test of time. Many of them also have a romantic look, which can serve as a symbol of the affection that sweeps you off your feet. Traditional looks, with their timeless appeal, can portray that your commitment to one another is far more than a passing trend, while modern designs can communicate that your love is unique and fresh. By determining which message you most want to send about your relationship, you can get an idea of which type of wedding band might be best for you.
While each of these tips can help you choose which type of wedding band is best for you, remember that there are no wrong answers. Pay attention to which rings catch your eye and seem to communicate your love. No matter which style you choose—antique, traditional or modern—you’ll be sure to find bands that will remind you of why you said “I do” every time you see them.
- Vintage Jewelry and Rings: Antique-Style, Victorian, & Art Deco
- Wedding Bands for Her
- Best Wedding Bands of 2011