Important Jewelry Shopping Tips
December 26, 2008 by Yelena Jenkins
When you are in the market for a new piece of jewelry, it’s important to be aware of a few key factors. First and foremost, getting beautiful jewelry at a great price requires knowledge. But what knowledge, exactly? In a nutshell, always do research on the item you are looking for before buying. We’ll delve into the kind of research you need to accomplish, as well as other critical jewelry shopping tips all consumers should be aware of. Simply read on, and consider yourself a jewelry shopping pro.
Doing Your Research
Though many shoppers would agree that research is important, they often don’t even know where to begin. Here are the three main things you need to know before purchasing jewelry:
Price comparisons are easy to do. Go online and type in the name of the item you are looking for. Then, visit a few different websites to get a good idea of what constitutes a reasonable price range for the jewelry you are interested in purchasing. Heading to a few local jewelers can also help gauge what the item is retailing for, though it takes much more time than a simple online search.
Now that you have a good idea of the price range, examine the exact details of the jewelry you are considering. Though one price may seem much lower than another, it’s not necessarily a bargain – with jewelry, you usually get what you pay for. Always pay attention to the exact weight of gold, the karat of the gold, and the quality of the stones if there are gemstones. The price of a gold ring, for example, can vary greatly depending on the weight of the ring. This is something that isn’t easily determined by the naked eye, but will make a big difference in the quality and worth of the ring. Keep in mind that:
- Gold and platinum jewelry prices are based on the weight of the item, and the current market prices. You are likely to get a better deal on the same ring online when gold and platinum prices are low, since they adjust pricing quicker to stay competitive. At regular retailers, the only price cuts you will receive are during sales or liquidations. Even then, check pricing to ensure that the 50% discount they are offering actually brings the price of the jewelry below market.
- Gold is not created equal, and purity of gold is measured in karats. The higher the karat, the more pure the gold and the more expensive the jewelry should be.
- With diamonds, always consider the 4 C’s (cut, clarity, color, carat), which combine to determine the value of a diamond. You might be able to buy a large diamond of poor clarity for the same amount as a small diamond that is near-flawless, so don‘t get drawn in by size alone. Many other types of gemstones have a preferred shade or color; take the color of the gems you are comparing into consideration when evaluating prices.
3. Quality & Craftsmanship:
Quality and craftsmanship is the most intangible factor in jewelry buying, but it’s no less important than price comparisons and paying attention to details. Shoppers can determine quality by paying attention to the way the jewelry is crafted – make sure there aren’t any flaws or ridges in gold pieces of jewelry. If the jewelry has a design on it, make sure that the design is seamless and doesn’t begin and end awkwardly or misaligned.
If possible, find ratings and feedback on the jeweler you are buying from. Find out who is actually making the jewelry they are selling, and ensure that it is coming from a reputable jeweler. A quick Google search can give incredible insight about past consumer experience with a particular jeweler, and is worth the five minutes it takes.
As always, Apples of Gold jewelry meets and exceeds the factors necessary for quality jewelry at an incredible value. Prices are adjusted quickly to reflect the market, allowing buyers to get much better deals than in stores. We also work with customers to create special custom pieces, and have a proven track record of customer satisfaction. Finally, our beautiful jewelry is backed by a 100% guarantee and stellar return policy to allow our clients to rest easy.
You Might Also Like:
- TOP 10 MOST
POPULAR BLOG POSTS
- The Real November Birthstone: Citrine or Topaz?
- Why is Platinum More Expensive than Gold Jewelry?
- Understanding the Price of Platinum Jewelry
- Certified Diamonds vs. Non-Certified Diamonds
- Jewelry Hallmark Guide
- Rhodium Plating White Gold
- Platinum vs. Titanium Wedding Bands
- The 4 C's of Diamonds: Which C Matters Most?
- Price of Gold Per Gram
- Gemstone Ratings