Alluring amethyst is the February birthstone, as well as the zodiac gemstone for those born under the Pisces sign. Women born in the month of February enjoy the plum luck of having one of the most beautiful as well as fairly affordable of the birthstones, making amethyst jewelry a perfect pick for Valentine’s Day babies and Pisces alike.
Amethyst Myth & Legend
The February birthstone is surrounded by a number of interesting myths and legends. Among them is the story of the origin of the amethyst gemstone from Greek mythology. According to the myth, a young maiden named Amethyst was on her way to pray to the goddess Diana when she became the unjust target of the god of wine’s (Dionysus’) anger against mortals. Dionysus set two tigers upon her to devour her, but Diana protected Amethyst from pain and suffering by forever turning her into a beautiful piece of clear crystal quartz. Upon seeing this, Dionysus realized his actions were wrong and wept into his goblet of wine, then accidentally dropped it upon the clear quartz stone, staining it a deep purple color. Thus was formed the first amethyst, from the maiden Amethyst.
Amethyst History & Facts
Purple has long been regarded throughout history as the color of royalty. Because of this, amethyst has served as one of the favorite gemstones in royal jewelry over the centuries. Since the days when Diana and Dionysus created amethyst, the stunning crystal quartz has been coveted by the rich and powerful. Amethyst has been found in many different parts of the world including Uruguay, Brazil, Russia, Zambia, Mexico, Sri Lanka and the United States.
Amethyst is usually thought of as a purple stone, but it also comes in a sea foam shade of green that looks lovely in jewelry. Generally speaking, the darker a piece of amethyst the more valuable it is; however, many women actually prefer the lavender shades of amethyst, and much of it comes down to personal preference. The beautiful quality and popularity of the stone make it valuable, but luckily there are many sources for the February birthstone, quenching the demand for it and keeping the price of amethyst jewelry affordable.
Beautiful Amethyst Jewelry Picks
For February birthdays, amethyst jewelry is a special gift that will be cherished for a lifetime. Here are three of our favorite amethyst pieces of jewelry for giving:
1. Art Deco Diamond and Amethyst Ring in 14K White Gold – Vintage lovers will fall head over heels for this sparkling diamond and amethyst Art Deco style bauble.
2. Amethyst Stud Earrings in 14K White Gold – Lovely and understated, these stud earrings are fabulous and affordable.
3. Sea Foam Green Amethyst and Diamond Cocktail Ring – For a truly unique February birthstone gift, wow the birthday girl with this spectacularly stunning green amethyst cocktail ring. A massive sea glass hued amethyst is surrounded by a halo of diamonds for a gorgeous style statement.
You Might Also Like:
- February Birthstone: The Gift of Amethyst
- The Real November Birthstone: Citrine or Topaz?
- November Birthstone: Citrine